Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Because Baobabs are Awesome

Manahoana! 


I know I just posted yesterday, but we have good internet connection right now, so I decided to dedicate a post solely to baobabs.  Baobabs are a type of tree endemic to Madagascar and Australia.  They basically look amazing because their trunk doesn't have any branches until it reaches the very top of the tree.  We saw lots of baobabs in Morondava and on our way to the Tsingys.  Our first night in Morondava we went to see Baobabs Amoureuse and the l'Avenue des Baobabs at sunset.  It was incredible!  We also bought some baobab fruit, which was strange mostly because it didn't really look like a typical fruit, but I guess baobabs are you're typical tree.  Enough talking, here are some pictures!


                       One of our first baobab sightings!!  We were so excited!!


                                                       Another awesome baobab!


               Two of my favorite things in Madagascar:  Baobabs and Zebu.


A normal sight in Madagascar no matter where you are, the middle of Tana or in the countryside of Morondava.  I love zebu carts!

 Baobabs Amoureuse!!  These two baobabs became intertwined as they grew and they have become a symbol of love for Madagascar.


                            Just playing with the settings on my camera as usual.


I liked how intertwined the two trees actually are.  No spaces between them.

 Baobabs are basically ginormous, and I think this picture captures that pretty well.


Some more baobabs on our way the l'Avenue des Baobabs.

So tall!!

l'Avenue des Baobabs!!!  The trees grew like this naturally and road was built between them.

Sara and I excited to be at the Alley of Baobabs!

All alone.

I really like zebu, I just can't help it!

The beginning of sunset at the Alley of Baobabs.

Capturing the sun behind the baobabs.

The inside of baobab fruit.  I told you it was weird.  It had a fluffy texture with a nutty seed in the middle of the chunks.  The seed tasted like a pistachio, no joke.  It was pretty good, but I think one is enough for me, ha.


Watching the sun set was one of the most beautiful things I have seen.  The colors across the sky with the silhouette of the baobabs was incredible!

The last light of day with some amazing trees.  Madagascar never ceases to amaze me.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, your life is so cool! I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I was looking for images as a wedding gift and came across your blog. I would love to purchase a print of the sepia-toned trees growing together. Would you be able to accommodate that?
    Thanks!
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baobabs are sometimes called ‘upside-down’ trees. The baobabs on the avenue have giant barrel trunks and stunted branches reminiscent of tree roots.

    tamy,

    medical assistant certification

    ReplyDelete